Engage all students in high quality academic and social settings.
The Master of Arts in Special Education program at Lewis University focuses on disabilities rights and inclusive education. Students will be placed in special education classrooms to provide a hands-on experience in diverse teaching environments in public and private schools. Upon graduation, students will know how to modify teaching styles for different abilities, cultures and environments and be qualified to teach in the State of Illinois with a professional educator license and special education (LBS1) endorsement.
LBS1 Endorsement Option
Contact us(815) 205-0943
The ISBE allows educators who currently hold an Illinois teaching license to complete the coursework required for a Learning Behavior Specialist 1 (LBS1) Endorsement on their license without obtaining the Master’s degree. This endorsement covers Kindergarten – age 22, regardless of the current teaching grade range of an educator’s PEL.
The Special Education graduate program is approved by the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board and the Illinois State Board of Education
- Mines-Quinlan Annual Scholarship
- Special Education Annual Scholarship
- TEACH Grant
- Resources for the Education of Adults in the Chicago Area (REACH) Scholarship
Visit the Financial Aid for Educational Studies page for more information on education scholarships.
- Development and Characteristics of Learners
- Disability Studies in Education
- Transitions and Students with High Support Needs
- Partnerships for Inclusive Education
- Content Area Reading Strategies for Adolescent Learners
- Integrating Educational and Assistive Technology into the Classroom
- Special Education Teacher
- Social and Human Services Assistant
- Remedial Skills Instructor
- Pediatric Hospital Educator
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) for the final 60 credit hours completed
- Official college transcripts from all institutions previously attended
- Successful completion of Lewis University COESS Graduate Writing Sample
- Submission of graduate application form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Meet with the appropriate Department Chair or Program Director for a personal interview to discuss educational goals
Please refer to the Office of Graduate Admission for application requirements and specific next steps.