MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF YOUNG CHILDREN.ces in educational settings by obtaining three endorsements with one program.
Through the accelerated Early Childhood Education program at Lewis University, students will gain experience in developing curricular adaptations and instructional strategies that are interdisciplinary, multicultural, inclusive, family-centered, and developmentally appropriate, and address the needs of young children across a range of characteristics and abilities, including emergent bi- and multilingual children and children with developmental delays and disabilities.
Upon graduation, students will be prepared to teach students from birth to Grade 2.
THREE ENDORSEMENTS THROUGH ONE PROGRAM
Lewis University’s program is one of the only early childhood degree programs in Illinois to offer all three endorsements within one major:
- Early Childhood Education – Regular education classrooms, birth through 2nd grade.
- Early Childhood Special Education – Special education classrooms, birth through 2nd grade.
- English as a Second Language – Classrooms with emergent bi- and multilingual children, Pre-K through grade 12.
- Optional: Bilingual Endorsement – Bilingual may add this endorsement through completion of one additional course and passing the appropriate ILTS Target Language Proficiency exam.
These endorsements are now required qualifications for teachers of preschool and primary children in many districts throughout the state of Illinois. Many schools and districts seek candidates with these three endorsements for teaching positions at lower grade levels.
2+2 PROGRAM OPTION
Through a unique partnership with Joliet Junior College (JJC), students may attend JJC for the first two years of the program and complete the final two years at Lewis University's main campus in Romeoville, for a discounted tuition rate. Upon completion of the program, students receive a Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education degree from Lewis University.
The Early Childhood Special Education with ESL Endorsement program is fully approved by the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board and the Illinois State Board of Education.
- Mines-Quinlan Annual Scholarship
- TEACH Grant
- Gateways to Opportunity EC Scholarship
- Early Childhood Access Consortium for Equity Scholarship Program
Visit the Financial Aid for Educational Studies page for more information on education scholarships.
- Foundations of Early Childhood Education
- Child, Family, Culture and Community
- Beginning Linguistics and Development of Speech and Language in Early Childhood
- Child Growth and Development
- Early Reading and Writing Methodologies
- Assessment of Diverse Learners
- Creative Arts, Music, Literacy and Social Studies in Early Childhood
- Public School Teacher in Regular Education, Inclusive Education or Special Education – Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten and Grades 1-2
- Child Care Center Director (with 1 class in Business Management)
- Head Start Personnel
- Social Services Agencies
- Home Visitation/Parent Education Programs
ON CAMPUS OPPORTUNITIES
- Educators Rising
- Best Buddies Illinois
- Catholic and Lasallian Educators Program
- Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education (KDP)
- Black Student Union (BSU)
- Latin American Student Organization (LASO)
- Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA)
Cumulative GPA of 2.75 (2.0 for those receiving the ECACE Scholarship)
WHY CHOOSE LEWIS?
- The Early Childhood Education program is fully approved by the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board and the Illinois State Board of Education.
- 130 district partners + community based early childhood partners
- If you currently work in an early childhood classroom setting, you may be eligible for receiving credit through Prior Learning Assessment.
ADULT ACCELERATED LEARNING FORMAT
- Adult-only classes mean learning with and from other working professionals just like you
- Most courses delivered in an 8-week accelerated course format designed to fit your busy lifestyle
- All courses are delivered in evening, online formats
- Discounted tuition for adult learners
- Transfer specialists will evaluate prior college credit and prior learning experiences to craft a customized pathway to degree conferment
For more information contact the Office of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org.